March - A month of RIAA boycotting, and independent music supporting.
Inspired by Gizmodo's RIAA boycott, I decided to check out some RIAA-free music on Amazon. To be honest, I didn't realize how many artists/albums I liked were in the Top 100 (aside from the ones below: Röyksopp, Andrea Bocelli, Skinny Puppy). I haven't spent this much money on music since AllOfMp3 took credit cards. Here's what I ended up getting:
- Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
- I've been a fan of Dangermouse since the Grey Album. The song Crazy has been stuck in my head for awhile and at $9.99, this one's pretty much a no-brainer.
- Battlestar Galactica: Season One
- A great show and a great soundtrack. A must for all sci-fi geeks.
- Battlestar Galactica: Season Two
- See above. I'm eagerly awaiting season 3's release.
- Tropicália: A Brazilian Revolution in Sound
- I'm not much of a jazz fan, aside from the Charlie Brown music, but I love obscure stuff like this. Since I heard it sampled in a Ghostface track, I haven't been able to get Alfômega - Caetano Veloso out of my head. I discovered this one thanks to the hype machine. (thanks Jon!) At $19.99 it's kinda pricey, I was hoping it was a 2-disc set or something, but it does come with a pretty thick little booklet with more than you wanted to know about Brazilian music.
Are you boycotting the RIAA this month? If so, what independent music did you buy?